Your Insurance Contract
Dental Indemnity from MDA National Insurance Pty Ltd
- The Medical Indemnity (Prudential Supervision and Product Standards) Act 2003 (‘the Act’) requires all professional indemnity for healthcare professionals in Australia to be provided by a regulated contract of insurance from an Australian insurer. To comply with this legislative requirement, DPL members are offered a ‘claims made’ contract of insurance which is underwritten by MDA National Insurance Pty Ltd (MDANI).
- MDANI is a wholly owned subsidiary of MDA National Limited (MDA National), a mutual organisation owned by its (medical) members.
- In total MDANI has 50,033 members and other insured professionals. MDA National started life in 1925, becoming a national organisation in 2000. Consequently, MDANI is not a commercial insurer with shareholders – making it a particularly good ‘fit’ with the Medical Protection Society Group in terms of its ethos and member-centred culture.
- MDA National has members and offices in all States and Territories. It has doubled its number of members/insured since 2005, and 110 staff provide an outstanding service to them.
- The MDA National Group’s accounts at 30 June 2022 confirm that the group held total assets of $490.4 million, and net assets of $137 million.
- Since 2008, DPL Australia Pty Ltd (DPLA) has acted as a Corporate Authorised Representative (CAR) of MDANI.
- By agreement with MDANI, DPLA provides the point-of-contact member service, case management and colleague-to-colleague support
- The MDANI Dental Indemnity Policy has a limit of $40,000,000 in the aggregate for all matters for which you seek indemnity under the policy. The maximum amount of indemnity includes legal costs. A sub-limit of $500,000 in the aggregate applies for legal costs and costs orders arising out of investigations and inquiries, allegations of sexual misconduct or criminal conduct, allegations of academic misconduct for students and legal costs seeking an Apprehended Violence Order.*
- DPL and DPLA were consulted on the design of the MDANI Dental Indemnity Policy, details of which can be supplied on request.
- DPL and DPLA meet regularly with MDANI to discuss the dental indemnity insurance needs of DPL members, and ways to enhance the deliveryof service to DPL members still further.
Forms & Policy Documents
Public liability and product liability insurance
As a free extra benefit of DPL membership, DPL purchases public liability and product liability insurance on behalf of those members who want and need it, and who do not already have their own cover arranged for this risk. You do need to advise us of your wish to be attached to the Master Policy that DPL purchases for this purpose, providing up to $40 million of cover.*
* The maximum limit of indemnity is $40,000,000 in the aggregate with the maximum limit of indemnity for any one claim under the policy not exceeding $20,000,000 during the period of insurance.
Contact us for more information.