Enhance your expertise, reduce your risk
Take decisive action to reduce to challenges to your practice, with our one-day Risk Management Masterclass.
As an experienced dentist, you know about the rising risk of complaints and litigation. But do you know that you can help minimise those risks by developing your communication skills?
Complement your clinical expertise with insight from fellow dentists, and sessions tailored to the needs of your specialty. The Risk Management Masterclass gives you practical techniques to take away and apply to your practice immediately, helping you carry out more effective interactions with patients.
A one-day interactive and practical session tailored to the needs of general dental practitioners
Saturday 06 April 2019
Thursday 02 May 2019
Friday 21 June 2019
London and Manchester
Medical Protection members: FREE OF CHARGE as a benefit of membership
Non-Medical Protection members: £560
Accredited for 6 hours of CPD
This masterclass meets GDC development outcomes A, B and D.
By attending this masterclass you will:
Understand the link between communication and litigation.
- Incorporate the skills of listening, reflection and checking on patient understanding.
- Improve the skills required for consent and shared decision making.
- Appreciate patient motivations to complain or claim.
- Communicate regret and empathy with the patient’s situation and understand that this is not necessarily an admission of liability.
- Apply models for communicating with patients about adverse outcomes.
- Be provided with skills that will help reduce your exposure to complaints and claims.
The morning session includes a series of lectures and activities on the importance of good communication in developing a trusting relationship with your patients. Here we’ll cover discussing expectations and arriving at decisions with patients, and the importance of engaging with them after an adverse outcome, looking at a model for carrying out these conversations.
In the afternoon you’ll have the opportunity to practise these skills. You’ll work with professional actors in the role of patient, roleplaying scenarios from before and after treatment.
For further information please contact educational services: firstname.lastname@example.org