5 January 2010

Q. A patient has requested their dental x-rays because they want to have dental treatment provided abroad where it is cheaper. Can I give them to the patient?

We recommend that you only allow the patient to take away copies of your radiographs, retaining the originals yourself. The patient is of course entitled to copies but is liable for any reasonable charges incurred in doing so. 

You have obviously made the patient aware of the potential problems associated with seeking treatment abroad, especially the provision of follow-up care which may be necessary should the treatment not go according to plan. You cannot be held responsible for the outcome of another practitioner's work.

For more information visit

GDC's view on 'Going abroad for your dental care'

Dental Protection Limited is registered in England (No. 2374160) and is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Medical Protection Society Limited (MPS) which is registered in England (No.36142). Both companies use Dental Protection as a trading name and have their registered office at 33 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PS.

Dental Protection Limited serves and supports the dental members of MPS with access to the full range of benefits of membership, which are all discretionary, and set out in MPS’s Memorandum and Articles of Association. MPS is not an insurance company. Dental Protection® is a registered trademark of MPS.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more