- Protecting the professional integrity of members.
- Advice and assistance, including legal advice and assistance in all matters which challenge a member's professional integrity.
- Indemnity against costs and damages in dental negligence claims. We are not an insurance company, the benefits of membership are discretionary.
- 55 dento-legal advisers, who are all experienced dentists with legal expertise, provide expert guidance and support to members in difficulty including emergency advice available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, locally based teams of dentists and lawyers with a specialised knowledge of dento-legal matters support the in-house advisers in all the nations where we operate.
- An independent and confidential counselling service specifically to assist members suffering from stress as a result of dento-legal issues.
DPL has an established policy of providing risk management publications, seminars and other educational resources, with the aim of preventing avoidable harm to patients and reducing risk to members. These are provided for members either free of charge on request, or at preferential rates.
DPL, within MPS, is a discretionary mutual organisation. This means that instead of a tightly worded contract (policy) of insurance, defining what will and won't be covered, and containing a long list of terms, conditions and exclusion clauses, the Board of DPL is empowered with a wide-ranging discretion which can be used when responding to requests for assistance.
This powerful tool allows us to adopt a flexible and constructive approach to individual cases (especially ones which are particularly unusual, complex or challenging) and it enables us to assist members in a wide range of situations where most contractual insurance policies would almost certainly exclude cover.
The Board of DPL has an obligation to use its discretion fairly, responsibly and in the interests of members. It must never be used arbitrarily, irrationally, unreasonably, perversely or with improper motives. DPL and MPS are proud of their responsible use of this discretion in many thousands of cases, often extending the support given to members when they needed it most. DPL also has a long history of pursuing important points of principle on behalf of its members, and a proud record of successful legal challenges in Courts of Law and other high profile arenas all over the world. All this is made possible by the Board's discretion, coupled with an unwavering commitment to purpose, and a determination to preserve the mutual principles upon which the organisation was founded over a century ago.