9 - 20 March 2012
It's a lot easier than you think
There is a common misunderstanding that risk management is a tedious chore that is much too complicated and takes far too much time. This seminar is designed to make you think again, providing loads of really useful, practical advice and hot tips that can actually save you time as well as keeping you safer from all kinds of dento-legal threats and challenges. There are great suggestions here for every member of the practice team and you will derive maximum benefit if you bring them along.
It is also relevant to every kind of practice, and you cannot fail to take away loads of ideas that you can start using and applying in your practice tomorrow. Why wait until you get sued?
The three main themes of this programme are:
- Stick to what you can do well (and recognise the elephant traps)
- Care for the patient first – then treat the teeth
- Use every member of your team, so that they can help to keep you safer.
CLICK HERE to book online.
About the programme
The topic areas will be illustrated by video clips, providing examples drawn from DPL’s extensive case files, and will include:
- SMALL TALK – BIG DIFFERENCE – There is plenty of evidence that time spent in developing rapport can improve patient satisfaction and reduce complaints and litigation, even when things go wrong. The less well you know the patient, the greater the risks (specialists beware!)
- NO PRESSURE THEN? – One of the principles of a valid consent is that it is given freely and without any form of coercion, pressure or manipulation by the clinician. Increasing numbers of patients claim that they were 'talked into' treatment on the basis of biased information – here is how to avoid any such suggestion
- MOUTH SHUT – EARS OPEN – How to listen like you have never listened before. The do’s and don’ts of effective, reflective listening and what we can learn from clinicians who never get sued or complained about
- HAVE YOU GOT IT? – Working within your competence isn’t just a question of the procedure ahead of you. It is also a question of when, which patient, with what history, with what potential repercussions if things don’t go to plan
- IF ONLY – Some of the biggest, most costly and most stressful claims and Dental Board/Council cases that DPL has handled around the world, could have been avoided altogether, if even a few more seconds had been taken over the records. Several quick-fire examples of this from the extensive case files of DPL, illustrating that other members of the team can be used to make a big difference to the overall quality and value of the records you are keeping.
Who should attend
General and specialist practitioners, prosthetists, dental hygienists, therapists and oral health therapists, chairside assistants, reception staff and practice managers will all find the subject matter of interest and relevance to them.
About the speakers
KEVIN LEWIS, Dental Director DPL
Dr Kevin Lewis has been Dental Director of DPL since 1998. He has 30 years of experience of general practice and has published two textbooks on dental practice management as well as having written and lectured internationally for over 25 years. He has overall responsibility for DPL activities in Australia.
JAMES FOSTER, Dento-Legal Adviser DPL
Dr James Foster is DPL’s Deputy Lead person for Australia. He is an experienced general dental practitioner with extensive experience of vocational training of recent dental graduates.
James completed a degree in medical law in 2005, is a trained mentor and holds a certificate in clinical education. James has a particular interest in postgraduate education and development, especially of young dentists.
Dates and venues
Friday 9 March - Perth
Heath Ledger Theatre
William Street, Northbridge, WA 6003
Tel (08) 6212 9200
Tuesday 13 March - Adelaide
National Wine Centre of Australia
Cnr Botanic and Hackney Roads, Adelaide, SA 5000
Tel (08) 8303 3355
Thursday 15 March - Sydney
Australian National Maritime Museum
2 Murray Street, Darling Harbour, NSW 2000
Tel (02) 9298 3777
Monday 19 March - Melbourne
Telstra Corporate Centre
1/242 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Tel (03) 9632 6323
Tuesday 20 March - Brisbane
Central Bardon Conference Centre
390 Simpsons Road, Bardon, QLD 4065
Tel (07)3217 5333
More dates and venues to follow later in the year.
Timings, duration, format
- 5.15pm to 5.45pm Registration and light refreshments
- 5.45pm to 6.45pm Lecture session one followed by short interval
- 7.00pm to 8.00pm Lecture session two followed by an opportunity for drinks, light food and informal discussion
Click here to download the lecture notes.
Click here to download the record keeping exercise.
Click here to download the article, Demystifying National Registration, Standards and Guidelines: Advertising and Practice Promotion, from Dental Protection's Riskwise Australia publication, issue 23.
DPL members and their staff
CLICK HERE to book online.
The seminar is available free of charge to you and your staff* as a benefit of your DPL membership but please note that you do still need to reserve a place as some venues in our 2011 seminar series were oversubscribed.
*This does not include non-DPL practitioners on staff.
If you are not already a DPL member, email email@example.com to confirm your interest in receiving further information and booking details. The seminar fee ($220) will be fully reimbursed if you become a DPL member before 1 July 2012.
For more information or any other enquiries contact FREECALL 1800 444542 or send a fax to 07 3831 7255.